Small Claims and Civil Actions

Small Claims Actions are claims for the recovery of money only, not exceeding $7,500.  If you wish to file a small claims action, contact the Court at 775-754-6321 or by mail or in person for information on how to proceed.  The person you are filing the claim against must (1) live in, (2) do business in, or (3) be employed in the Carlin Township.

If you have been served with a small claims suit, and you want to contest the claim, you must contact the Court as soon as possible, and no later than the date indicated on the Affidavit.  A hearing will be scheduled at which you can present evidence and testify as to why you don’t believe the claim against you is valid. The Plaintiff will also have the right to present evidence to support his/her claim.  If you fail to contact the Court by the date on the Affidavit, a default judgment will be entered against you.  If you fail to appear at a hearing that has been scheduled, a default judgment will be entered against you. 

If you owe the money alleged in the claim, contact the Plaintiff immediately to arrange for payment of the debt.  Most plaintiffs will accept payments and are willing to work it out with you.  The worst thing you can do is ignore the claim.

Civil Actions are formal actions not exceeding $10,000.  You will receive a Summons to which you must respond within 20 days, excluding the date of service.  If you fail to respond, a default judgment may be entered against you at the request of the Plaintiff.  If you are not sure how to respond, contact the Plaintiff or their attorney.  DO NOT IGNORE THE SUMMONS.

In a formal Civil Action, it is in your best interest to contact an attorney, even if it’s only for a consultation.

For legal questions, contact an attorney.  The Court is prohibited by State Law from giving legal advice.

Carlin Justice Court & Municipal Court

Elko Justice Court & Municipal Court

Family Court

Wells Justice Court & Municipal Court

Eastline Justice Court & West Wendover Municipal Court

District Court Dept. I

District Court Dept. II

Site Search

You are here: Home Small Claims and Civil Actions